Welcoming Environment and a safe place to live and study: Canada was ranked for nine consecutive years by the United Nations to be among the top 3 countries in the world to live and study out of 174 countries Also, the Human Development index survey consistently ranked Canada number one for a variety of reason including its excellent education system, high quality health care, low incidence of crime and clear environment. A remarkable multicultural society ensures that you will be welcomed and made to feel at home during your stay. Canada’s main cites – Vancouver and Toronto have been recognized amongst the best cites of the world to live, study and work.
1. High Standard of Living: Canadians enjoy one of the highest standards of living. Canada has one of the smallest population density rations in the world per square kilometer.
2. Multicultural: Canada is increasingly becoming the country of choice for students. It is, in fancy, a nation immigrant from all over the globe, creating a wonderful, vibrant and harmonious mix of cultures. Included this dynamic mix are more than 700,000 Canadians of Indian Origin.
3. World Class Education System: Degrees and diplomas from Canadian institutions are among the most widely recognized and prose the highest standard in the world. Students have a diverse choice of more than 100 Universities and 150 Community College/ Technical Institutes offering a wide array of study programs.
4. Low Tuition Fees and Cost of living: Tuition fees for international students are among the lowest in this county, with education standards among the highest. For all that it offers, Canada has a remarkably low cost living. Its inflation rate has remained one of the lowest in the industrialized world. The average tuition cost for an international student is CDN$ 12000 per year while living expenses are estimated at CDN$8000 p.a.
5. International Experience: There are over 175,000 international students annually studding in Canada Your education experience is sure to be truly international.
6. Opportunity to Work and migrate: Upon graduation, international students have the option to work before returning home and many even qualify to apply for permanent residency and settle.
EDUCATION SYSTEM IN CANADA
Education in Canada is within provincial jurisdiction and the curriculum is overseen by each province. Spends more per capita on education than most other developed countries.
TYPE OF EDUCATION INSTITUTIONS
Education institutions are not officially ranked in Canada but you will find quality institution across the country. The education system in Canada encompasses
both publicly funded and private schools.
Universities: Canadian universities are largely public funded, and, as a result, offer consistently high quality education at lower tuition rates for international students than their counterparts in competing countries. They offer a board range of courses and degrees from undergraduate to doctorate and also certificates and professional degrees.
Community Colleges and Technical Institutes: They have more vocational curses offerings. Most colleges and technical institutes offer diplomas and certificates. However, more and more colleges now grant degrees and applied degrees. Diplomas from community colleges can further lead to admissions in bachelor degrees offered by Universities, with appropriate transfer of credits.
TYPE OF QUALIFICATIONS
1. Certificate programs are available at UG and PG level. Most of them are of 1 year duration.
2. Diploma is a UG qualification awarded after 23 years of successful study, and is offered at colleges.
3. Undergraduate / Bachelor’s Degrees are awarded by a college/ University after four years of fulltime study, and lead to graduate level studies. A perrequisite to apply for Bachelors degree is minimum 70% in 12th std and a minimum overall IELTS score of 6.0 (5.5 in each band).
4. Post Graduate or Post Degree/ Graduate Certificates are one year cost effective, job oriented programs offered by College’s Prerequisites are a Bachelors degree (3 or 4 years) with upper Second Class or a 3 year diploma after 12th standard, and IELTS score of 6/6.5.
5. Graduate/ Masters Degrees are 2 years in duration. A prerequisites is a Bachelors degree (4 years) passed with 70% average, a GRE or GMAT test whichever is applicable and an overall IELTS score of 6.5 (6.0 in each band). Most schools require a minimum of 16 years of prior formal education. So for Indian students who have completed at least 1 year of a University affiliated Masters program in India to qualify for Canada.
6. MBA programs will typically require a minimum of 23 years of relevant work experience, a 4year Bachelors degree passed with 70% average, GMAT score of 6.5(6.0 in each band). They are normally 2 years long. A few institutions do offer a fast track option without work experience, 16years education or GMAT criteria.
7. Doctorate or Ph.D. generally requires 37 years to complete. A combination of course work, original research, and a thesis is required.
Prerequisite are generally a Masters degree (although direct entry from a bachelor’s degree to a Ph.D. programs), IELTS with an overall band score of 6.5 (6.0 in each band) and GRE.
8. Postdoctoral programs: one of the most important factors in granting postdoctoral fellowships is the personal network established between the applicant and the faculty member.
CANADA STUDY PERMIT
Indian students can apply for a study permit under the Student partners (SPP).
To qualify under SPP, the student should hold an unconditional offer from a university/ college that are included under this scheme. Study Permit application
must be Made 2 months before your course start date.
Document Checklist for SPP (Student partners program)
1. Application form +2 Passport size photographs
2. Current Passport
3. Family Information Form
4. Student Questionnaire
5. Letter Acceptance From a SPP educational institute stating unconditional admission
6. Use of a Representative Form (IMM 5476)
7. IELTS test results taken within last 24 months with overall band not less than 6.0
8. Photocopy of the most recent diploma /leaving certificate ,and most recent mark sheet (for entire program ;consolidated mark sheets are NOT acceptable)
9. Copy of payment receipt provided by SPP institution (prepayment of 1st term is recommended)
10. Copy of educational loan from an Indian Chartered Bank
11. Copy of medical examination form IMM1017 if you opt to undergo a medical examination before submitting your application.